Realist, not conformist analysis of the latest financial, business and political news

Priti Va-cant

From our Swindon correspondent:

From Reaction.Life

How safe is Priti Patel, the Home Secretary? On one level she is battling for her political life after a Cabinet Office investigation found that she had broken the ministerial code in her treatment of Home Office staff. An independent report that was handed to the Prime Minister several months ago said Patel’s frustrations in the job “manifested itself in forceful expression, including some occasions of shouting and swearing”, adding that this “can be described as bullying in terms of the impact felt by individuals.”
Priti Patel isn’t “battling for her political life”. In the rarified world of the sort of people who work in politics and media commentary, it’s almost a crime to be ill-mannered to most of the country, failure matters more.

OK, maybe Priti is some crazy bitch, but I’ve worked with the civil service, so I’m going to lean towards the civil service management spectacularly failing to deliver. And these aren’t keen green recruits who cock up through inexperience. They’re people on very good salaries ennobled by the Queen. They should be able to take responsibility for delivery.

Most managers out in the real world live this. You cock up big time, there’s shouting. Because you’ve just made the people who pay for you less happy. A manager loses his personal money, or has to go to his manager and suffer a bollocking. It’s one of the ways that managers improve, because people don’t like a bollocking. So, they try and do things to prevent that recurring. And unlike these soft-bellied bureaucrats, they take responsibility for their actions and accept the punishment.
0 0 vote
Article Rating
Total
Shares
Notify of
guest
15 Comments
Oldest
Newest Most Voted
Inline Feedbacks
Arthur Dent
Arthur Dent
3 months ago

Our “Rolls Royce” civil service is just as big a myth as our “World Class” NHS.

Arthur the Cat
Arthur the Cat
Reply to  Arthur Dent

It is a Rolls Royce civil service – oversized, overpriced, living off past reputation gained in very different times, replaceable by a more efficient, cheaper to run machine far better suited to current conditions.

John Galt
Reply to  Arthur the Cat

That’s arguably true for Rolls Royce cars, but not so much the aero engine division which literally is world class.

Arthur the Cat
Arthur the Cat
Reply to  John Galt

I totally agree about the aerospace RR. However, I’ve always considered the expression “Rolls Royce of X” to be a reference to the cars. When I was a kid most people had seen a RR car being driven, but very few had seen an aerospace engine working.

Bernie G.
Bernie G.
3 months ago

I suspect Priti has bigger balls than Amber Rudd. Probably bigger than Baron Reid of Cardowan too.

John Galt
3 months ago

I used to work for an agency of the Department of the Environment called Her Majesty’s Inspectorate of Pollution. It was at that time a new agency, but populated with the usual cast offs and reprobates from other ministries. We were brought in as contractors to do the job of delivering their IT system simply because their own staff couldn’t do it. They had actually tried to do it and failed abysmally. I have never met such a bunch of lazy, entitled incompetents in my entire life. From the entire staff there was one senior manager who knew what they… Read more »

jgh
jgh
Reply to  John Galt

Aye, but which 75%? You’d end up with a higher concentration of the useless ****ers. It’s the same when I get people saying: why do we have three councillors per ward, get rid of two of them. Which two? You’d lose the useful ones and be left with the self-preserving dregs.

Spike
Spike
3 months ago

Aye. Some of my best bosses have shouted and sworn. Though never at me, because I never waited until a dep’t meeting to say I wouldn’t be delivering on my task and it wasn’t my fault. Instead, I went to him privately, showed how our assumptions had changed, and made a recommendation.

In the US, bullying extends to telling off-color jokes (see the confirmation of Clarence Thomas), using a pronoun other than the referent prefers and, after Biden reinstates those workshops, evidencing toxic caucasity.

Bloke on M4
Bloke on M4
Reply to  Spike

Yeah, I have had bosses shout and swear at me, because I did that. They also sat me down afterwards and had a chat about it. I learned that these people really would rather know if there’s a problem so they can get it sorted. I do wonder if the problem here is that Priti is from Ugandan-Asian shopkeeper family and raised differently from a lot of middle class people like May and Rudd. People from business often have a different perspective on failure to people who’ve worked in lumbering bureaucracies. Those places are about clocking in your hours and… Read more »

Quentin Vole
Quentin Vole
3 months ago

If I was given Priti’s job (please, God, no) and had to deal with the Blairite empty suits and over-promoted Common Purpose drones that constitute the upper ranks of our ‘elite’ Civil Service, a bit of swearing would be the least of their problems.

john77
john77
3 months ago

If it is “bullying” to ask people to do their job …
My wife keeps accusing me of “shouting” if I try to be heard over the smartphone – should I be sacked?

Bongo
Bongo
3 months ago

That’s interesting because I’ve been on an admittedly short course on bullying and that doesn’t meet the criteria, unless it was done in front of others with the intention to belittle them.
So these poor individuals were bollocked in private presumably, but it felt like bullying to them, so therefore bullying. No, I’m not buying that schit.

Snarkus
Snarkus
3 months ago

private sector and public service managers comparison ?
may old Oz was different because in the bigger private company bureaucracies the private managers were considerably incompetent. It was not common on the pre 2000 Oz federal public service in most of the departments. Now that KPIs and Jacintas in HR rule the roosts it has probably gone bad, given the number of fleeing senior public serpents of my my acquaintance.

Boganboy
Boganboy
Reply to  Snarkus

I do like the ‘serpent’ bit. Maybe I should try and hiss occasionally.

ifabloke
ifabloke
3 months ago

As we used to say, TOIL to a Civil Servant meant ‘time off in lieu’.

Can you help support Continental Telegraph?

If you can spare a few pounds you can donate to our fundraising campaign below. All donations are greatly appreciated and go towards our server, security and software costs. 25,000 people per day read our sites and every penny goes towards our fight against the Establishment. We don't take a wage and do what we do because we enjoy it and hope our readers enjoy it too.

Donate
Would love your thoughts, please comment.x
x