Realist, not conformist analysis of the latest financial, business and political news

British Universities, State Schools And The Lake Wobegon Effect

Shocking figures out today from the Higher Education Statistical Authority today as we’re told that half of British universities are letting in more of those poor dullards from state schools. Quite why they’ve taken it upon themselves to pollute the learning environment by importing more of those children too stupid to be born into the right families is…..

Ah, no, that’s not it is it? Rather, half of British universities are managing to overcome the tenor and fashion of the times to not allow more chavs into hallowed halls of learning…

Oh, not that? Half of British universities are striving mightily and managing to achieve by admitting more of the historically oppressed who were forced to accept their educations at the hands of the state?

Not even that? No?

[perfectpullquote align=”full” bordertop=”false” cite=”” link=”” color=”” class=”” size=””] Russell Group university outreach programmes appear to have floundered as half admitted fewer state school students than the previous year. Durham, Exeter, Edinburgh, Warwick and Birmingham universities are among those where the proportion of state educated pupils has fallen, according to data published by Higher Education Statistical Agency (Hesa). [/perfectpullquote]

Remember folks, it’s only in Lake Wobegon where all children are above average. But then asking Hesa to know anything about statistics is being a bit tough isn’t it? It’s an offshoot of Britain’s state education system after all.

0 0 votes
Article Rating
Total
0
Shares
Subscribe
Notify of
guest
3 Comments
Oldest
Newest Most Voted
Inline Feedbacks
View all comments
Quentin Vole
Quentin Vole
2 years ago

The 5% of the UK state system that includes grammar schools send more pupils to Oxbridge than the remaining 95%. Inexplicable, isn’t it?

literate3
literate3
2 years ago

Russell Group universities are floundering? No, it is the state schools who are floundering by failing to teach their pupils well enough to compete with the small minority who attended non-state-schools. The scholarship system does tend to cream off a lot of the brightest kids into public schools (remember that nearly all of them were formed as charities to educate the poor or relatively poor while the seriously rich hired a tutor/several tutors to teach their children at home “privately educated” hence the term “Public School” for a place like Rugby or Winchester where one shared a classroom with other… Read more »

Pat
Pat
2 years ago

Bearing in mind that the universities as a whole are currently teaching half of the people that they are part of an elite, it is unsurprising that they are surprised to find that half of any group is below average.
A sense of perspective would ruin their business model.

3
0
Would love your thoughts, please comment.x
()
x